(Snow Hill, MD)- The Worcester County Health Department opened a call center Thursday, March 12, 2020, for questions regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19). Callers can reach the center during health department business hours (8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday) by dialing 410-632-1100 option #8. General information on COVID-19 is available 24/7 through Worcester Health’s Public Information Line (410-632-4321) and WorcesterHealth.org.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a disease caused by a respiratory virus first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. This is a new virus that hasn’t caused illness in humans before. COVID-19 is spread just like colds or flu through:
- coughing and sneezing, which creates respiratory droplets
- close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- touching an object or surface with the virus on it
Symptoms of COVID-19 include
- Shortness of breath
- In more severe cases, pneumonia (infection in the lungs)
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please call and discuss them with your primary care physician.
Preventing viral respiratory infections. Protect yourself from getting sick.
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- avoid close contact with people who are sick
- stay home while you are sick
- avoid close contact with others
- cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing
- clean and disinfect objects and surfaces
For more information, visit WorcesterHealth.org. For COVID-19 information in the State of Maryland, please dial 2-1-1.
For Immediate Release
Media Contact: Travis Brown
410-632-1100 ext. 1130